Thursday, August 27, 2009

Planning a Road Trip

The summer after I graduated from college, I treated myself to a cross-country road trip.

My college friends and I hopped in a VW camper and drove around the USA - from New York to the Florida Keys, then west to San Diego, up to Seattle and east to Yellowstone and the Black Hills, then back to New York via Point Pelee, Ontario - stopping at national parks and campgrounds along the way.  Sadly, I wasn't a birder back then, but I came back with great memories of chasing (and being chased by) wildlife - moose, bison and pronghorn. 

A couple of weeks ago, I was invited to a meeting in Montana.  Timing is everything, and as it worked out, Tom and I both had a window of opportunity.  We decided to drive.

I went to AAA-Wisconsin and met with Nancy, my travel consultant, to plan a route that would include some of America's greatest wildlife viewing destinations:  the Badlands, Black Hills, Custer State Park, Jewel Cave and Yellowstone.

We picked up a bag of "car" food and headed home.

I packed the car, checked the itinerary and "closed up" the house.

We were ready and rarin' to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment