Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Mystery Cocoon : A Promethea Moth

I found a moth cocoon along the Chippewa River State Trail on March 15 and took it home to watch.

A moth emerged from the cocoon today...


Recognize it?  I wasn't sure, so I looked it up.

A female Promethea Moth.

The females of this species of giant silkworm moth are larger than the male, whose body is primarily black with two eye spots and light tan wing borders.

The adults live to breed - neither has mouth parts.  This female was ripe with eggs - ready to mate.


By the time I realized she'd hatched out of her cocoon, one male had battered himself trying to get to her (in a Reparium cage in which I put the cocoon) and another male was flying nearby.  The power of pheromones.

I snapped a photo and let them fly off to procreate.

No comments:

Post a Comment