Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Black Moth Nectaring at Noon


I spotted this insect working a dried flower on the Lower Chippewa River State Trail today.  I thought it was a moth, but I wasn't certain.  I took a picture so I could look it up later.


It was another sunny day in October, but the temperature had dropped to around 50-degrees.  I thought it was too cold for butterflies until I spotted two Eastern Commas sunning themselves in the leaf litter.


Not many birds around mid-day, but I did see two Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  I heard a surprising number of chip notes coming from the shrubs along the trail... Fox Sparrows, juncos, cardinals and Chipping Sparrows.

I walked a mile then headed back home to figure out the name of my mystery black insect.


Compared to the insects I found last week, this one was easy to figure out:  a Yellow-collared Scape Moth - Cisseps fulvicollis.

A day-flying Tiger Moth that resembles a wasp, it's found nectaring on fall flowers, including goldenrods.    Adults appear in May and can be spotted into October until the first hard frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment